Sunday, September 28, 2008

Top 5 Weekend Pleasures


Weekend lover's anthem: 'I Don't Like Mondays', by the Boomtown Rats


Now that the weekend is drawing to its usually painful end, I have decided to weigh in on the little pleasures that make it everyone's favourite time of the week. Here go my top 5 favourite weekend things:
1. Going Out On Friday Night
I love the excitement of getting dressed and putting on makeup, and calling up all my friends to see what their plans are. And of course, there's dancing at clubs and driving/riding cabs along deserted streets.
2. Staying Up Late / Sleeping In
This is pretty obvious, but that doesn't make it any less great. Isn't it fantastic when nobody wakes you up and you sleep till two in the afternoon?
3. Sunday Morning Workout
I just can't go without it. I work out on weekdays as well, and sometimes on Saturday mornings, but Sundays are just fantastic. Getting to the gym, boosting your endorphines and feeling great for the rest of the day!
4. The Financial Times Weekend Edition
The best newspaper you can get. The FT is quite good on weekdays, but of course it's got a lot of info on markets and companies, which isn't half as enjoyable as the Arts&Culture and House&Garden sections. Besides, the contributors are just brilliant, especially Tyler Brulée, Susie Boyt and Mrs Moneypenny. My favourite sections apart from their columns would be The Expat Lives, Dinner with the FT and the film and literature section. Oh, and How To Spend It. I'm not its target reader (I didn't make it into the Forbes wealth list), but I love it anyway.
5. Getting Ready for Monday on Sunday Night
You reach this stage after finally coming to terms with the fact that the weekend does have an end after all, and that the end is now. And even though it is a depressing moment, I kind of like the feeling of order and slipping back into routine. Well, maybe I don't. But you see, I need something to trick myself into getting out of bed on Monday morning.

No comments: